Three volumes in and A Blackwatch Christmasyet again nabs a spot on the nice list, showcasing a smattering of Oklahoma artists with charming new holiday standards. This year shakes up the status quo with two themed halves — serving up dusty, countrified Christmas ditties on the Holly-Tonk side and soulful hip-hop carols with Jingle Beats, both with joyful returns.
It has been a relatively rocky road for Weatherford alt-country outfit Green Corn Revival, which has seen its share of highs (acting as backing band for rockabilly icon Wanda Jackson) and lows before an (amicable) split in the road led half of the original lineup to forming Honeylark.
Oklahoma is quickly becoming the indie Christmas music capital of the world, it seems, with yearly compilation albums featuring everyone from Stardeath and White Dwarfs to Graham Colton. So it makes sense that Colourmusic — freak-poppers hailing from Stillwater — would craft a full album of original, offbeat holiday tunes themselves.
The Oklahoma City metro has a thriving garage rock scene. With seasoned acts like Broncho and Copperheads carrying the modern-day torch, the way has been paved for a flock of gritty, young, guitar-centric acts. But nascent Norman trio Poolboy has a knack for riotous hooks that few of its contemporaries can boast.
And also as it so happens, that song came from the mind of Will.i.am, which is no surprise when you consider his propensity for recording outright terrible music. Stale rhymes, pathetic grabbing-at-straws repetition, leaning on a boner as a shock-value crutch, scatological tendencies — it’s all good for ol' Will! Just be sure to watch that video, which probably made Adam Levine regret ever telling the entire world that he has moves like Mick Jagger.
7. “I’ma kill the game, leave the rest in pieces / now everybody want my recipes,” will.i.am. — “T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)”
6. “Oh my goodness / this beat is so hard,”* will.i.am. — “T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)”
5. “I go hard / statues,” will.i.am. — “T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)”
4. “Hard like geometry / trigonometry / this is crazy psychology!” Mick Jagger — “T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)”
3. “I woke up in the mornin’ / hard like mornin’ wood in the mornin’”
2. “I’ma go hard like a motherfuckin’ boner,” will.i.am. — “T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)”
1. “This beat is the shit / feces,” will.i.am. — “T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)”
*Editor’s note: The beat is, in fact, not hard at all.