The Sooner football team kicked off its season on the first of September.
- First complete pass: Sam Bradford to Juaqin Iglesias for 12 yards, second play of the game.
- First rush for positive yardage: Backwards pass from Bradford to Iglesias for 41 yards on the third play of the game.
- First score: 15-yard Bradford touchdown pass to Jermaine Gresham.
- First offensive turnover: Gresham fumbled a Bradford pass with 2:17 left in the first quarter.
- First misuse of a pronoun: 7:34 p.m. Bob Stoops says "theirself" on the scoreboard's jumbo televions screen. (Really, it's easy to tell Stoops is not a product of his alma mater's -- the University of Iowa -- renowned writing program.) Its either himself or themselves, but never, never, theirself. Just ask former English teacher and fellow coaching colleague women's basketball coach Sherri Coale.
- First penalty: Personal foul penalty by Brett Bowers on a first-quarter North Texas punt.
- First defensive tackle: Double-team effort credited to Marcus Walker and Nic Harris.
- First tackle for loss: On North Texas' second offensive possession, Curtis Lofton and John William tackled running back Jamario Thomas for a four-yard loss.
- First sack: Harris tackled North Texas quarterback Daniel Meager for a 10-yard loss in North Texas' third offensive possession.
- First defensive defensive turnover: Lendy Holmes intercepted Meager in the third quarter.
- First defensive touchdown: Harris intercepted quarterback Giovanni Vizza late in the third quarter and returned it 25 yards for a score.
Perhaps an Oklahoma home-game first, the starting lineups for the offense and defense were announced during pregame festivities.