Recreation and Fitness Open House
OCCC to Host Recreation and Fitness Open House, Feb. 11-16
Oklahoma City – As students begin to settle into the spring semester at Oklahoma City Community College (OCCC), the Recreation and Fitness Department will host its annual Open House for all students, staff and community members.
Recreation and Fitness Open House is set for Feb. 11-16, during regular college hours, and is designed to inform individuals across campus, and those within the community, of the opportunities available at OCCC, including:
· Fitness Classes – Deep Water Exercise, Water Exercise, Total Body Workout, Ab Express, Theatrical Dance, Zumba®, Cardio Kickboxing, Pilates, Spinning Program, Combo Aerobics and Yoga.
· Spring Adult Leagues – Men’s Spring Basketball League; Adult Co-Ed Spring Volleyball League
· Spring Youth Sports League – Pee Wee Soccer League; Spring T-Ball League; OCCC Youth Basketball League (Boys and Girls Division); Hershey’s Youth Track and Field Games
· Active Kids – Tiny Tot Ballet; Tiny Tot Tumbling and Kids’ Dance Party
· Pool Parties – Make a splash for birthdays and get-togethers in OCCC’s indoor pool
· Personal Enrichment – World Instructor Training School; OCCC Triathlon Club
· Aquatics – Swimming Lessons (for children and adults); Adult Lap Swim, Water Walking, Deep Water Walking; Beginning Diving, Safe Diving; Scuba Practice; Family Swim; Mako Shark Swim Team; Junior Swim Team; Advanced Swim Team; Lifeguard Training and Instructor Classes; Water Safety Instructor and CPR Classes.
· Cardio and Weights – A number of cardio and toning options are available to the entire OCCC community in the cardio and weight room outfitted with treadmills, elliptical machines, stationary bikes and stair climbers. The fully-equipped weight room is perfect for full body weight workouts.
Research shows that regular exercise or physical activity helps many of the body’s systems function better; helps prevent heart disease, diabetes, and a host of other diseases; and is a key ingredient for losing weight. According to the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, being physically active on a regular basis:
· improves your chances of living longer and living healthier
· helps protect you from developing heart disease, stroke and high blood pressure
· helps protect you from developing certain cancers, including colon and breast cancer, and possibly lung and endometrial (uterine lining) cancer
· helps prevent type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome (a constellation of risk factors that increases the chances of developing heart disease and diabetes)
· helps prevent osteoporosis
· reduces the risk of falling and improves cognitive function among older adults
· relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety and improves mood
· prevents weight gain, promotes weight loss (when combined with a lower-calorie diet), and helps keep weight off after weight loss
· improves heart-lung and muscle fitness
· improves sleep
OCCC can help in your quest to be healthier. For more information about the OCCC Recreation and Fitness Open House, an OCCC Recreation and Fitness membership, or how to sign up for fitness classes, please contact (405) 682 – 7860 or visit www.occc.edu/rf.
Where: Oklahoma City Community College
Address: 7777 S. May