Sunday 20 Apr

photo 85cca911-3826-446b-828b-785107dd2ef3_zpse09f07ac.jpg

Topic: Music
sherreechamberlain

Kickstart a local album!

Help Okie singer Sherree Chamberlain record her second disc.

There aren’t a whole lot of local female musicians who are as talented as Sherree Chamberlain. Her debut album, 2009’s “The Wasp in the Room” was as lovely a work as you’ll find around these parts, and it’s most definitely in need of a follow-up. To the Internets!

Chamberlain has started a Kickstarter page in an attempt to raise money to record her sophomore album, which she’s already written, and titled “New Skin.” On the page is a really funny, candid video of her discussing the details of the disc, and what she’ll do if a baby donates money to her cause: “I will hunt down a mother, find some breast milk, and feed it to you in a bottle.”

Watch, then head to the site and pledge some money! She’s already $1,700 toward her goal, which she must achieve by the end of this month.

Also, I just realized that for a $500 donation, she’d cover any song of my choosing. Never in my life have I been more sure of the fact that I want to hear Sherree Chamberlain record a version of “Int’l Players Anthem (I Choose You).”
by Matt Carney 10.06.2011 2 years ago

What’s good, KD?

The first in a series, wherein I evaluate the Durantula’s music evaluations.

With the outlook for a full (or even halved) NBA season growing bleaker and bleaker, I’ve realized how weirdly unhealthy my obsession with Kevin Durant is.

I constantly refresh his Twitter and Facebook pages on the regular, hoping to catch a few loose links to videos of semi-pro games he’s dominating, or news about the movie he’s shooting, or awesome photos of him repping Oklahoma. Heck, I even bought a pair of his shoes, just for playing pickup ball.

In all this, I’ve noticed how much this guy cares about music (exclusively hip-hop and R&B, from what I’ve seen), as he’s constantly talking and arguing about what he’s listening to. Just a few days ago, Durantula defended West Coast mixtaper Dom Kennedy via Twitter, after arguing with @waldorfsfinest (apparently a friend?) between Pusha T and Young Jeezy the night before. He’s also been pushing Big K.R.I.T., an upcoming Southern trunk rapper/producer, extensively the last couple of weeks.

So I thought it might be fun to tune into No. 35’s Skullcandy headphones and analyze what he’s saying about it. Here’s your first installment of “What’s good, KD?”

Let’s consider his recent brief assessment of Clipse member and Kanye collaborator Pusha T. From Durantula’s Facebook, around about 2 a.m. yesterday:

“Now playin on my Skullcandy's: ‘open your eyes’ - Pusha T. MEEEAAANN track!!!”

Clipse’s 2006 street-rap manifesto “Hell Hath No Fury” set a high bar for mean hip-hop, and Pusha’s work since then’s been similarly aggressive. He loves to set your expectations much lower with especially playful beats and samples (the “Bohemian Rhapsody” sample on “Open Your Eyes” is textbook), then skewer them by comparing himself to, say, the genocidal Hutu tribe, as he does on “Fury”’s “Wamp Wamp (What It Do).” It’s one of the reasons he’s been so great with Kanye, who’s been similarly aggressive and graphic lately.

I’d be inclined to agree with KDTrey5 here then, except Pusha doesn’t really hit you that hard lyrically, and certainly not in the same place. On “Open Your Eyes,” he’s more earnest about his drug-dealing past, and proud of his success (“bigger homes, with bigger guns and better cameras”) than he is aggrandizing. It’s less intimidating, especially when you compare the track with his recent “Fear of God” mixtape (from standout song “My God”: “I gotta voodoo doll / Every time I pin the verse / Not only do they say they feel it but they say it hurts”).

This seems to me more like post-game wind-down music than a really gritty, mean, pre-game warmup track. So KD, while I do love that you’re into Pusha T, dig into some of his other work for stuff that’s truly “MEEEAAANN,” and you’ll instill the “fear of God” within the heart of every three-man in the league this season.
by Matt Carney 10.06.2011 2 years ago

portishead

VOTD: Trip-hop to the rescue

Watch Portishead play its first American TV show in over a decade.

Just when I was getting worried for a while that the super-aggro, mass-culture-canned version of dubstep (see: Skrillex, Excision) was starting to completely fill out the mainstream’s understanding of electronic music, legendary English innovators Portishead calmed me down. The trip-hop act showed up on “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” to play a brand new song and a classic, for the first time on American TV in 13 years.

Watch (or rather, experience) “Chase the Tear,” which the band is currently promoting as a 12” release, and “Mysterons,” a haunting song that will probably outlive us all:

by Matt Carney 10.07.2011 2 years ago

St. Vincent — Strange Mercy

Born Tulsan, Annie Clark’s third record is alluring and fearless.

Indie

Matt Carney
Right away, “Chloe in the Afternoon,” the first track on St. Vincent’s new album, distinguishes itself as superior to both the band’s previous LPs, 2007’s “Marry Me” and 2009’s “Actor.”

Monday, October 10, 2011

VOTD: It’s a JFJO two-fer!

Watch the state’s reigning alt-jazz act play FreeTulsa!

I don’t know who’s behind underthebelfry.com, but they’ve shot a couple of really terrific, multi-camera videos of Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey’s FreeTulsa! performance, as well as other local bands Desi & Cody, Low Litas and the awesomely named Manhammer. I strongly recommend you jaunt over to their neck of the Internet woods and watch the beautiful stuff posted there.

I’d especially like to point out the pair of tracks from JFJO’s excellent, latest LP, “Race Riot Suite.” Watch “The Return” for a lengthy, impressive Chris Combs lap guitar solo, and “Grandfather’s Gun” for the signature raucous, high-energy performance you expect from the band.

by Matt Carney 10.10.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: Ya wanna buy a van?

Because The Black Keys are selling one.

So Akron, Ohio, neo-blues icons Dan Auerbach and Patrick Carney (no relation that I can be certain of) are busy boys these days. News broke a few weeks ago that they’ll soon be releasing a sequel to 2009’s “Blackroc” that’ll include producer Damon Dash and a slew of other rappers — Curren$y, U God, Jay Electronica, Jim Jones and Wiz Khalifa among them.

You’d think a rock band that’s sold nearly 2 million records and won a Grammy for their last album wouldn’t be too interested in following up on a seemingly one-off passion project, but that’s just the kind of guys Dan and Pat are.

They also can’t stop writing songs or coming up with hilarious ways of promoting them. The video below hit the Internet yesterday, via the newly built website, wannabuyavan.com. It features Bob Odenkirk (of cult-level “Mr. Show” and “Breaking Bad” fame) doing his thing as a frustrated car salesman. While I did love the “Frank the Dinosaur” bit that promoted the last record, and this wonderful, wonderful bit of single promotion Odenkirk’s berating of the idiot driver behind him is hysterical.

If you call the number listed on the site, you hear a recorded message from Pat (who also tweeted the number with the hashtag “elcamino” yesterday) describing an El Camino with “a quarter-million miles on it.” Pitchfork’s reporting that “El Camino” is the title of the album, and it’s due out in December. Pretty excited for this one, guys.

by Matt Carney 10.11.2011 2 years ago

Wanna get buff?

Buffalo Lounge to set up shop twice this week.

The local arts and entertainment-supporting initiative Buffalo Lounge will graze around Oklahoma City this week, for two separate events.

The Lounge, which debuted at this year’s South by Southwest and has appeared at Norman Music Festival, deadCENTER Film Festival and the Tulsa International Film Festival, will be on site at tomorrow’s grand opening of Whole Foods Market at 6001 N. Western and at Saturday’s grand reopening of Myriad Gardens. A bevy of local musicians are scheduled to play all day long at both events. Each lineup is listed below.

Check out more information about the Buffalo Lounge at oklahomafilm.org, or the Lounge’s Facebook and Twitter profiles.

Whole Foods Market
• Ryan Lawson, 8 a.m.
• Daniel Walcher, 10 a.m.
• Matt Stansberry, 12 p.m.
• Ben Kilgore, 2 p.m.
• Sherree Chamberlain, 4 p.m.
• Camille Harp, 6 p.m.

Myriad Gardens
• Sugar Free Allstars, 11 a.m.
• Steelwind, 12 p.m.
• Susan Herndon, 1 p.m.
• Defining Times, 2 p.m.
• Mark Gibson Band, 3 p.m.
• The Wurly Birds, 4 p.m.
• Green Corn Revival, 5 p.m.
by Matt Carney 10.11.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: Get ‘Nasty,’ y’all

Is Nas our greatest rapper?

A lot of hip-hop critics’ criterion for great rap is in the combination of social criticism and delivery. I agree, and I don’t think anybody’s climbed further up that totem than Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones.

Hardly in his 20s, the self-educated, middle-school dropout’s debut, “Illmatic,” captured life in early ’90s New York ghettos with more imagery than any series of photographs and in truer, grittier, more dizzying prose than any novelist could. Or has.

Now 38, Nas debuted the video for “Nasty” yesterday, and if it’s any indication of the forthcoming LP, “Life Is Good,” then we’re in for another high-caliber album. The video was shot in his home neighborhood of Queensbridge, and just look how elated those little kids are to see him and mug for the camera. Actors can’t do that. Watch:

And now a few lyrical samplings:

Self-aggrandizement:
• “Queensbridge leader, no equal / I come from the will of Ezekiel / to pop thousand-dollar bottles of scotch / smoke pot and heal the people.”
• “I’m skinny, but I’m still too big for a Bentley”
• “Gotta bunch a niggas in prison, braggin’, sayin’ it was Nas I used to hustle with”

Insults:
• “Your flow cheap as limousine liquor”
• “Any rebuttal to what I utter gets cut”

Philosophy:
• “I guess entertainment means blatantly lyin’”

Allusions
• Jackie Onassis
• “Carlito’s Way”
• Faith Evans
• Michael Jackson

Nas’s technical game is as impressive as ever. I’m excited to see if his production and concepts on “Life is Good” are on par.

by Matt Carney 10.12.2011 2 years ago

MPFree: It’s a smorgasbord

Here’s your weekly roundup of downloads and streams, with a little bit of everything.

Indie rockers, both young and classic, original and remixed. Ambient Goth, pop singers and dance-rockers. And locals, too! This week’s edition of MPFree is probably the most widely varied as there’s ever been. Let’s get started.

STREAM: M83

Urban Outfitters (your source for hipster apparel) is streaming the new, much-anticipated double LP from M83, “Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming.” It’s due out Oct. 18. Six tracks into the nearly 80-minute album, it’s lush and gorgeous, and ranges from nostalgic to charming. I’ve got a feeling it’s going to sag pretty heavy somewhere between tracks 10 and 20, but we’ll see if Mr. Anthony Gonzalez can keep us interested.

STREAM: My Brightest Diamond and Future Islands

Per usual, NPR Music First Listen has a couple of good indie releases for you to choose from. My picks this week are My Brightest Diamond’s “All Things Will Unwind” and Future Islands’ “On the Water.”

STREAM: Paul Simon and Radiohead (remixes)

Ah, AOL Spinner. You outdid NPR this week not just in volume (which you do every week), but in quality as well. Paul Simon’s about to start touring behind the career retrospective “Songwriter” (with Punch Brothers in support, he’ll be at the Civic Center Nov. 6), which boasts some really terrific live versions of all his classics, including a gospel take on “Bridge Over Troubled Water”. Radiohead’s remix album “TKOL RMX 1234567” is also out, if you’re looking for some ambience to get you through the work day.

DOWNLOAD: Dead Can Dance

DCD is back! And readying for a world tour! The long-defunct, ambient, creepy godparents of shoegaze are celebrating by giving away four live tracks for just the cost of your email address. “Live Happenings — Part 1” is the EP’s name, and the first track, “Nierika,” has just turned my cubicle into the setting for “The Lion King.”

STREAM: The Juan Maclean

For my fellow dance-punk, DFA, and LCD Soundsystem fans, The Juan Maclean’s got a new album spinning over at … Spin.

STREAM: Ryan Parker

Local guy and Brianna Gaither guitarist Ryan Parker’s got a loopy, folk-gospel, singer-songwriter album that he’ll be celebrating with a CD-release party on Oct. 27 at the Paseo’s Oh! Space. You can stream two of the songs at his bandcamp page, as well as a sampler of the album in full.

STREAM: Hare Tracks

If you haven’t heard of Hare Tracks, don’t worry: I hadn’t either until about 10 a.m. yesterday. It’s the artist moniker for Mac Kennedy, a freshman at UC Santa Barbara in California who went to high school at Heritage Hall here in Oklahoma City. He’s one of huge number of talented, self-producing, laptop-wielding kids across the country right now, and it sounds like his trip west has paid off for his music career. Stream his eponymous album at his Facebook, which combines laptop looping with more traditional instrumentation.

by Matt Carney 10.14.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: It always feels like somebody’s watchin’ me

A creepy local song gets a creepy local video.

In the Oklahoma music scene, few are eerier than Norman's Magnificent Bird, and just last week, the band posted an odd, alluring video to YouTube, to go with the song “Nowhere to Hide.” All rainy and black-and-white, a pretty, pale ghost haunts a depressed English major around the University of Oklahoma's campus. Watch it below.

You can stream their album “Superdark Can Happen to Anyone” at their Bandcamp page for free, or purchase it for $9.99. Also, the track “Cowboys are Blue Because of What They Have to Do” is available for free download.

by Matt Carney 10.17.2011 2 years ago