Thursday 17 Apr

photo 85cca911-3826-446b-828b-785107dd2ef3_zpse09f07ac.jpg

Topic: indie-rock

VOTD: What large, iris-less eyes you have

Watch a freaky new video from soon-to-visit Norman indie act Twin Sister.

On Oct. 14, New York boy-girl indies Twin Sister and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart will play at the University of Oklahoma. Both bands create dreamlike sonic landscapes, but while TPOBPAH skew more toward distorted rock, Twin Sister indulges in lush, sense-defying, alternate-reality dream-pop.

Check out this video for “Kimmi in a Ricefield,” off their debut album, “In Heaven,” which comes out today. Expect a positive review soon.

by Matt Carney 09.27.2011 2 years ago

Mmm ... Minty!

Norman’s much-loved Starlight Mints announce digital releases, singer’s solo album.

I’ve only enjoyed the pleasure of hearing the Starlight Mints play once, but it was most definitely enough to make the email I received from Allan Vest today a very happy one.

According to Vest, the band’s two earliest albums, 2000’s “The Dream That Stuff Was Made Of” and  2003’s “Built On Squares” are now available for purchase from  iTunes, Amazon MP3, eMusic, Rhapsody, Napster and other digital music outlets. While OKS is personally very fond of “Rhino Stomp” and “Drowaton” in general, this is good news that the band’s older material’s finally found its way online. Now go buy it!

Vest, of Edmond, also said that he’s currently working on solo material in pursuit of a career in film and television scoring. Go, Oklahoma!

by Matt Carney 10.04.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: Girls aplenty

Watch eight beautiful, grainy videos of Girls’ Christopher Owens at an SF gallery.

Stereogum pointed out late Tuesday that a bunch of videos of mushy-gushy bedroom songwriter Christopher Owens of Girls performing songs both released and unheard showed up on the openingceremony.us blog this weekend.

“I wrote this song a coupla days ago, hadn’t played it for anybody yet,” he said before dedicating “Key to My Heart” to his girlfriend. The song (and several others here) didn’t appear on last year’s “Broken Dreams Club” EP, nor on this year’s fantastic “Father, Son, Holy Ghost,” suggesting he’s probably got a wealth of scribbled-in notebooks full of lyrics stashed away somewhere.

The filters on the video (it’s almost exclusively black-and-white, except for “Cold Again,” with splices of sepia color), Owens’ jean jacket and the folkie setup make these performances seem really timeless. Watch for yourself:

“Solitude”

“Mr. Blue”

“Saying I Love You”

“Nobody’s Business”

“Keys to My Heart”

“End of the World”

“Cold Again”

“Back to London”
by Matt Carney 11.03.2011 2 years ago

pixiesthumb

Pixies do ‘Doolittle’

Gouge away at pics from the Pixies’ visit to Bricktown.

I was born less than a year prior to “Doolittle”’s April 1989 release, so I imagine if I’d have heard it then, it would’ve likely damaged my little ears much worse than when I walked past the stage-level speakers in the photo pit last night.

Absolutely inhuman sounds blasted from them, a mix of Frank Black’s snarling caterwaul and Joey Santiago’s damaged guitar playing. If you like your noise just as much as you like your pop hooks, then Bricktown was the place to be last night. Check out my photos:

by Matt Carney 11.16.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: Strippers!

Another weird concept from Los Campesinos!, this one likely NSFW.

That the Welsh indie-rock dudes and dudettes of Los Campesinos! put a lot of effort and thought into their music videos isn’t up for debate.

“Songs About Your Girlfriend” from last year’s excellent “Hello Sadness” is just one more convincing exhibit in this case, which had to have been just as weird an experience for the band as the viewer. I’m not even going to try to describe it, so just go somewhere your co-workers can’t catch a glimpse of this over your shoulder and watch:

Never mind the girl dancing with no underwear around the midway point. The most off-putting thing about this video is the pairing of guitarist Tom Campesinos!’ face against these very, um, talented ladies’ writhing bods. Talk about sexually confusing.

But there’s nothing confusing about pretty ginger keyboardist Kim Campesinos!. That girl can sing harmonies on my tracks any day.
by 02.15.2012 2 years ago

Fling, flang, flung

Looking for some fun in Norman tonight? Fling a ding.

The boys of Long Beach, Calif.’s The Fling must be quite the fans of the Sooner State, as they are following up a late-fall show at The Conservatory with tonight’s set at The Deli, 309 White, Norman.

The Dangerbird Records signees play at 8 p.m. with ever-evolving local rock trio The Pretty Black Chains, showcasing material from “What I’ve Seen” and “When the Madhouses Appear,” both of which were released nationally last year.

The Fling’s brand of classic American indie rock recalls acts both new (Delta Spirit, Deer Tick) and old (Guided by Voices, The Byrds), and several of their Western soul ballads have found their way onto TV shows like “Being Human,” “I Just Want My Pants Back” and “Revenge” in recent months.

Enjoy the video for “What I’ve Seen” standout track “Dogpile,” and then catch it live tonight:

by Joshua Boydston 02.22.2012 2 years ago

Grand Ambassadors

Looking for your next favorite New York indie-rock outfit? We proudly present Ambassadors.

Music