Saturday 26 Jul

Topic: VOTD

VOTD: Ida-who?

Watch meek-voiced Idahoan Trevor Powers (aka Youth Lagoon) give a powerful in-studio performance.

Pitchfork’s often criticized for its enormous sway on consumers, which — from time to time, whether intentionally or without intention — it wields to blow bands up (see: Broken Social Scene) or completely and viciously implode them.

Having nabbed Pitchfork’s “Best New Music” accolade on its recent debut, “The Year of Hibernation,”
barely legal Youth Lagoon most definitely qualifies as the latter, and deservedly so. Watch this beautifully lit video for the song “July,” where Powers draws you in with his airy mumbles and plinky piano playing before ratcheting up the drama into a kick-drum-powered funeral march.

I’ve been listening to this guy’s album for a few weeks now and can verify that several songs on it go from frail to triumphant in mere, wonderful moments. “Posters” and “Afternoon” both get capped by welcome dance beats, the production all fuzzed out and swirling around them. It’s a great record about growing up, and I’m excited to say I’ll be seeing him in Denton, Texas, next week. Watch “July” over at Pitchfork.

by Matt Carney 11.04.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: Road trip!

Watch Milagres put on a mobile show before their date with Opolis last month.

Probably the single thing I regret most from the month of October was going home for the night instead of sticking around Opolis to hear Milagres’ harmonic indie goodness. So far, this month’s biggest regret is virtually the same: I ditched out on the Future Islands show, again, to catch up on my Zs.

As much as I love hearing live music, not being a zombie is also very important to me.

Getting to reprise my role as a sound guy and ride around in Jonathan Fowler’s “VDub Sessions” Vanagon with Milagres and the namesake of Peter Wolf Crier was a more-than-nice consolation prize, however, and the song “Halfway” even managed to latch its irresistible hooks into my brain, which has since been unable to dislodge them.

As always, Nathan Poppe’s “VDub Sessions” work is terrific. We even managed not to crash the van, although some poor freshman — admit it, you did it the first month you lived in Norman, too — drove the wrong way down Gray Street mid-performance. Almost everybody in the band noticed, including the singer for Milagres, which earns them all bonus points for performing under duress. Watch:

by Matt Carney 11.11.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: Vincent can go

Tulsa-born pinup St. Vincent plays six songs, expresses love for Robert Fripp and Dimebag Darrell.

In case you missed it, Tulsa-born Annie Clark recorded one of the year’s best albums in “Strange Mercy,” a rich, artful record that’s spiked with moments of morbidity and unexpected sonic textures, mostly supplied by her unique approach to guitar playing.

That style is on clear and wonderful display in these videos from a recent show shot by MTV Hive. Be sure to check out the Frippy, trippy guitar solo on ... well, all most of these songs, but especially “Northern Lights,” which races its way to a climactic finish. Early album standout “Your Lips Are Red” gets a seriously badass, almost metal-heavy facelift here. Also, Annie earns super bonus points for the end-of-show, noisy, crowd-surf move. What I would give to be that lucky stagehand...

Yeah, so come play a hometown show please, Annie. Also, tweet @OKmattcarney if you’d be interested in dating interviewing a fellow Tulsan who loves your music. OK, you got me. I really did mean “dating.” I promise Taylor and I are through.

by Matt Carney 11.21.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: It ain’t easy being ... from New Zealand

Bret McKenzie and Kermit the Frog sing an original song from ‘The Muppets.’

There is a poster promoting “Flight of the Conchords”’ second season on HBO in my office. Thus, any video of Bret McKenzie playing or writing songs on the fly are an automatic VOTD, doubly so when accompanied by any Muppet.

That’s the case here, thanks to The New York Times magazine, which corralled the New Zealand comedian into a studio to talk about his work composing original songs for the new “Muppets” movie and even perform one with the little green guy. It’s a fun little feature, and most definitely worth your time (click through to watch). Turns out writing songs for Muppets is extra-tricky, as McKenzie learned.

Also be sure to read Rod Lott’s super-exclusive interview with Jason Segel. And pick up a copy of tomorrow’s Gazette for a review of the film, which also opens tomorrow.

by Matt Carney 11.22.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: Stuck in the ‘Limelight’

Local filmmaker, musician team up to shoot a video on a camera that fits in your pocket.

Kyle Roberts is at it again.

You may recall the filmmaker from one of the year’s flat-out best local music video, for The Nghiems’ pixilated dreamy, poppy “Dum Dum Dah Dah.”

Or maybe it’s from his hilarious, attention-grabbing stop-motion work on “Battle of the Bonds.” Either way, he’s returned to the Internet by teaming up with Chase Kerby’s pretty, new alt-rockish act, Defining Times, to film a video completely on a GoPro HD Hero 2, a camera so small you can pretty much take it anywhere. In this case, it looks like Kerby and Roberts chose a local park.

Watch the happy-go-lucky, skater-boy video for “Limelight,” and listen to the band’s EP below:

by Matt Carney 11.23.2011 2 years ago

votd

VOTD: Mmm, delicious ...

Like Broncho? Then you’ll probably also like Cymbals Eat Guitars.

New York indie punks Cymbals Eat Guitars appears to be a band very much worth seeing live. Especially if you value things like fireworks, car-window boobies, smashing car windows, punching dads in the face, and distorted guitars. All of which appear in this video for the song “Keep Me Waiting,” directed by Adam Kurland.

Kids these days. You never know when they’ll try to run you over with a car. Watch:

by Matt Carney 11.30.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: I could watch this ‘All Day’

Girl Talk’s epic album gets an epic video treatment. Oh, yeah, and he’s playing a secret concert in Norman this weekend.

I once had an extensive discussion with a friend about the mash-up that opens Girl Talk’s fifth album, “All Day,” one of my personal favorites and probably the most fun disc of 2010. The two prominent songs sampled are Ludacris’ “Move Bitch” and Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs,” the former of which my friend Nathan (a gigantic metalhead), said he first listened to in high school while bumping up and down on a tractor on his family’s farm in northwest Oklahoma. If that’s not a funny image, then I don’t know what is.

Whoever’s behind this “Girl Walk // All Day” Kickstarter Campaign (not actually associated with Girl Talk) probably finds similar humor in listening to compulsive dance music in everyday situations. They’ve filmed 12 videos (ostensibly one for each song on the album), which they’ll be premiering each week until mid-January over at The Gothamist.

The first one’s below, and it features a sassy, rogue ballet dancer, a robot-dancing mechanic creep and a bunch of confused onlookers. I just wish I were brave enough to dance like this outside the protective confines of my car.

Also, yes, Girl Talk will be playing somewhere in Norman this weekend, but the location and time of the show have yet to be announced. Axe Body Spray is sponsoring the concert, and tickets will be given out on the University of Oklahoma campus tomorrow. I’ve currently got about a half-dozen surrogates keeping an eye out for me, because I’m not missing this chance to dress up like a goof and unfurl that Girl Talk-loving freak flag of mine.

Also, earnest question: What is an ice cream paint job? Or do I even want to know?
by Matt Carney 12.01.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: That’s not Santa ...

Breakout band Sleigh Bells announces a new album, ‘Reign of Terror.’

The saddest I’ve been in recent memory was when I had to forfeit my tickets to the off-the-rails rave that Brooklyn noise-pop duo Sleigh Bells hosted at my favorite concert venue in the world, Cain’s Ballroom. I love sweaty shows. I love aggressive, loud pop music. But I had to work, which resulted in Matt being a sad panda for about a month.

This was shortly before I got hired by the good people here at the Gazette, who now help to get me into shows like this (thanks, guys!). I mean, seriously, look how awesome this was, courtesy of expert Tulsa photographer Jeremy Charles:

Today the band announced “Reign of Terror,” the follow-up to its 2010 debut, “Treats,” by way of a video that captures the disturbing, harsh intensity of Derek Miller’s guitar riffage against Alexis Krauss’ chic femininity, dressed up in a military uniform like a Bond villainess who only speaks grunts of Russian. I really hope they somehow wield this thing into an insane dance-pop-metal hybrid.

by Matt Carney 12.02.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: A Christmas primer

Watch Norman Music Festival alumnus The Polyphonic Spree go over the top for the holidays.

The Polyphonic Spree are kind of like a lot like a cult, led by charismatic, robe-wearing front man Tim DeLaughter. This awesome video for “It’s Christmas” sorta feels like you’re at a Christmas Eve service for some religion that holds the first season of “Glee” among its doctrines. Watch:
by Matt Carney 12.12.2011 2 years ago

VOTD: ‘Immigrant’ status

Karen O and David Fincher get creepy.

OKSee wholeheartedly supports just about every endeavor undertaken by Yeah Yeah Yeahs singer yelper Karen O with a certain fervent-ness that’s only reassured by this incredible cover of Led Zeppelin’s mountain-shattering classic, “Immigrant Song.” It’s in support of the now-available soundtrack for the “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” assembled by none other than Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor.

Directed by creepy filmmaker David Fincher, the eerie collage of often-unknown, strangely morbid images, fits right in with NIN’s aesthetic, as does Karen O’s forceful moaning. Watch, but not if you hope to concentrate on your work immediately after:

by Matt Carney 12.15.2011 2 years ago