Oklahoma @ the Movies
Oklahoma History Center
800 Nazih Zuhdi
Midwest City, home to Hollywood’s brightest stars!
Well, every Sunday night through Aug. 12, that is. Thanks to the Midwest City Parks and Recreation Department, the community now has Sunset Cinema, a free, outdoor movie series to call its own, beginning 20 minutes after the sun slowly dips below the horizon, like a lover waving goodbye.
While the series began last night with The Muppets, plenty of other titles await your blankets and lawn chairs at Charles J. Johnson Central Park Town Center, 7209 S.E. 29th.
• June 10, Puss in Boots
• June 17, Top Gun
• June 24, How to Train Your Dragon
• July 1, Despicable Me
• July 8, Megamind
• July 15, Madagascar
• July 22, Cars
• July 29, Secretariat
• Aug. 5, Gnomeo & Juliet
• Aug. 12, Grease
Fun fact: Two of those selections star America’s most famous Scientologists. For more information, call 739-1293 or visit midwestcityok.org/sunset-cinemas. —Rod Lott
If you can tear your kids away from playing Minecraft this summer, take them to free movies at the Dickinson Penn Square 10 in Penn Square Mall, 1901 Northwest Expressway.
There’s a new flick — again: free! — showing Tuesday through Thursday each week, now until August rolls around. Here’s the schedule:
• June 19-21: The Pagemaster
• June 26-28: Puss in Boots
• July 3-5: Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
• July 10-12: Mr. Popper’s Penguins
• July 17-19: Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild
• July 24-26: Happy Feet Two
• July 31-Aug. 2: Babe
For more information, call 848-2202.
Meanwhile, over at Harkins Bricktown Cinemas 16, 150 E. Reno, the returning Summer Movie Fun program offers $2 individual tickets, or season passes for $5. There’s a new title each week, screening at 9:45 a.m. weekdays.
What’s on tap? Glad you asked:
• through June 15: Horton Hears a Who!
• June 18-22: Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
• June 25-29: Rio
• July 2-6: Kung Fu Panda 2
• July 9-13: Mr. Popper’s Penguins
• July 16-20: Puss in Boots
• July 23-27: The Smurfs
• July 30-Aug. 3: Arthur Christmas
• Aug. 6-10: Hotel for Dogs
For more information, call 231-4747 or visit harkinstheatres.com/smf. —Rod Lott
Hey! Read This:
• Mr. Popper’s Penguins Blu-ray review
• The Smurfs Blu-ray review
One of my 10 favorite movies of all time, space and dimension, Jaws, is not only debuting on Blu-ray on Tuesday, but soon will re-surface on the big screen at Cinemark Tinseltown, 6001 Martin Luther King.
The supreme shark flick to end all shark flicks kicks off the Cinemark Fall Classic Series, which features digitally restored prints of half a dozen classic films, Oscar winners all. Each will play for one Thursday only, with showings at 2 and 7 p.m. Here’s the schedule:
• Jaws (1975), Aug. 23
• High Noon (1952), Aug. 30
• Doctor Zhivago (1965), Sept. 6
• Chinatown (1974), Sept. 13
• The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957), Sept. 20
• The African Queen (1951), Sept. 27
Tickets are just $4-$6, and on sale now at cinemark.com. —Rod Lott